Here’s Looking at Ewe, Kid.
Wow, a sheep AND a goat pun? That’s a lot of livestock in one sentence. But you’re not impressed. Because it’s all in a day’s work for you, future content strategist. Melding the meaningful. Perfecting the pertinent. Detailing the… details. That’s right, Black Sheep is hiring a new member of the flock, and if you’re one hell of a strategic writer and researcher, it could be you. A lot of you know us (we may even go way back), but for those who don’t, here’s the pitch:
We are The Black Sheep Agency, a cause-driven brand strategy firm that works with impactful companies and organizations to activate communities around things that matter. Fiercely dedicated to serving our community, we strive to organize an army of co-conspirators who share a common vision. Together with our clients and collaborators, we unite around one thing—building a future we can believe in.
Those are strong words, but we back them 100%, and we’d love your help. If that rally cry lit your ass on fire, keep reading to see if you may be a fit:
We’re looking to grow by adding a full-time Creative Strategist to the flock. As a Creative Strategist at Black Sheep, you will be constantly investigating new emotional, cultural and behavioral insights to help our clients drive change. This means being an expert in both qualitative and quantitative research—diving into numbers, patterns and trends to create smart strategies and compelling content across a number of projects.
To do that, you must work to master these four areas:
- Conduct deep dives (research): Become the leader in defining research methods for the agency, such as: conducting one-on-one interviews and ethnographic-style fieldwork, moderating group conversations, collecting and leveraging publicly available data and conducting workshops
- Make insights actionable (strategy): Generate smart, sustainable strategies that are rooted in research and connect the dots between client work and current culture. Your findings should uncover solutions to complex problems, identify opportunities to accelerate and amplify impact for the client and establish baseline metrics against which we’ll measure campaign success.
- Bring it to life (writing): Understand the head and the heart of what motivates diverse audiences to take action and have the desire to dig deep and build that story out in a compelling way. Your primary methods of communication will emphasize written and verbal, but you have an eye for how to pair messaging with visual for maximum effect.
- Empower others (leadership): Make research findings relevant and impactful for the rest of the team so that they can leverage your insights into their own work. Your creative outputs should be articulate, engaging and personable, which establish trust and result in long-term client relationships.
Why is this role important for Black Sheep’s work?
The Creative Strategist makes the biggest impact when solving complex challenges by helping bring information and ideas to life through the written word. We will count on you to consult, explore, uncover, collaborate, craft and deliver compelling stories rooted in research insight that carve a clear path for strategy development and tactic deployment.
What does that mean for your day-to-day?
- Mapping out the discovery process for new clients
- Leading the discovery process for current clients, working with the Account Director and Account Manager assigned to the project to set goals, objectives and deadlines
- Conducting desk research and field research of all kinds
- Regularly communicating with the rest of the creative team to ensure designers and writers are apprised of research findings which will push their deliverables to best serve client needs
- Setting campaign and brand benchmarks and evaluating them to make sure the client is tracking towards attaining pre-determined goals
- Writing the up-front insights and narratives for pitch decks that inspire, set up, lead into and shape our strategies and campaigns
- Maintaining a consistent level of cultural and commercial awareness, serving as the agency’s main barometer on issues which affect our client’s work
- Presenting research and creative on behalf of the agency
- Writing and editing creative campaign copy
- Writing and editing advertising, digital and other copy elements
- Identifying key tools and assets for research needs
What are the requirements for this role?
While it’s hard to define the exact experience necessary, we are hoping to find someone who meets the requirements below—or someone who can prove to us that the experiences they have beats what we outlined.
- College degree relevant to the role (advertising, marketing, psychology, research, data science or similar)
- 3+ years of relevant experience in which you have managed projects that include consumer trends and behaviors evaluation, undertaken data analysis or utilized publicly available data to inform strategy or supported marketing or advertising strategy development through rigorous research
- Well-versed in AP style guide, with an ability to write in multiple styles for an array of mediums
- Proven experience juggling multiple projects, meeting aggressive deadlines and working in a fast-paced environment while still keeping your cool
- Demonstrated effectiveness in challenging traditional models or spearheading innovative approaches to find the best possible solution
- Understanding research best practices, familiar with multiple methods and tactics for gathering and synthesizing information into easily understood and succinct content
- Experience in developing and executing project plans, including resource budgets and timelines
- Strong, concise creative writing skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Advanced communication skills, including both written (documents and presentations) and interpersonal communication skills
- Confidence and poise to successfully present research findings or strategy recommendations to clients
Think you might be the one? Apply here, and please attach your cover letter, résumé and any relevant portfolio work such as writing samples. We look forward to reading them.